These Guidelines describe good practices regarding compulsory displacement and resettlement (CDR). This voluntary tool is intended for use by USAID Operating Units and their partners at all stages of the program cycle, whether for implementation of activities or as a good practice guide for project design. It is organized in 6 parts :
1. Understand the legal and institutional context;
2. Identify all legitimate landholders and relevant risks;
3. If physical displacement is unavoidable, develop a Resettlement Action Plan;
4. Promote informed and meaningful engagement;
5. Improve livelihoods and living standards; and
6. Provide additional protections to vulnerable groups, especially women and indigenous peoples.